In January 2016 we spent 2 weeks in Bali splitting our time between Seminyak, Ubud and Jimbaran. To give you a rough idea on what to budget for your own trip we decided to record all of our expenses.
Please note it was high season and the prices quoted are in Indonesian rupiah (1 AUD = approx. 10,000 IDR as at 1/1/16).
- Taxi (metered) from the Airport to Seminyak 70k (AU$7) – drivers at the airport were asking 300k (AU$30) – it’s much better to walk outside of the airport and hail a metered taxi off the street
- Taxi around Seminyak 20k (AU$2)
- Motorbike from Kuta to Seminyak 30k (AU$3) (negotiated down from 50-100k)
- Shuttle bus from Seminyak to Ubud 80k (AU$8) (negotiated down from 100k)
- Taxi (negotiated fare) from Seminyak to Ubud 250-300k (AU$25-30)
- Taxi (negotiated fare) from Ubud to Jimbaran 250k (AU$25)
- Taxi (metered) from Jimbaran to the Airport 70k (AU$7)
- Scooter hire for 24 hours 70k (AU$7)
- Average meal in a decent café/restaurant 50-100k (AU$5-10)
- Average meal at a Masakan Padang (local Indonesian food) 10-20k (AU$1-2)
- Fine dining lunch for 2 at a 5 star resort in Nusa Dua 400k (AU$40) (no alcohol)
- Romantic private 6-course dinner at Kupu Kupu Barong in Ubud 3000k (AU$300)
- Can of coke from the Minimart 8k (AU$0.8)
- 600ml bottle of water from the Minimart 3.5k (AU$0.35)
- Magnum ice cream from the Minimart 13-20k (AU$1.3-2)
- White water rafting down the Melangit River for 2 people 650k (AU$65)
- Movie theatre tickets for 1 person 50k (AU$5), or 100k for premium class
- 1 hour full body Balinese massage average at a decent place 90-150k (AU$9-15), although can be had for as little as 60k in a questionable establishment without air-con
- 30 minute ear candle 50-90k (AU$5-9)
- 3 hour spa treatment package at a nice establishment in Ubud 450k (AU$45)
- Entrance to the Monkey Forest in Ubud 40k (AU$4)
- 4.5 star hotel in Seminyak 1400k/night (AU$140)
- Private villa with pool in Seminyak 1400k/night (AU$140)
- Private villa with pool in Ubud 1500k/night (AU$150)
- Private villa with pool in Jimbaran 1200k/night (AU$120)
- Sydney to Denpasar return on Air Asia $650AU per person
- Accommodation during high season for 2 people for 13 nights with breakfast included at 4.5 star establishments AU$1800 or AU$138/night
- All other expenses (transport, food, entertainment) totalled AU$420 each for the 14 days or AU$30/day each.
*We were by no means roughing it – we stayed at what we considered to be very nice and highly rated hotels/villas with private pools and breakfasts included. We ate lunch and dinner at decent restaurants with a few snacks during the day. Neither of us drank alcohol or partied so granted we saved a bit there.
Have you been to Bali? What did you spend?